Sunday, December 13, 2009

Santa Hot pads...


I saw some Santa hot pads in Hobby Lobby and they looked like this but they were solid red. I thought they were really cute. I went to the local quilt stores and all they had in the red department with dishtowels was this bricked check. So Santa has a modern quilty look this year at my house in my creating corner.
I prewashed the dishtowels because they shrink. I then cut them at 8" and did a 2" x 8" strip of black that I fused for the belt and drew a buckel 2" square with a hole in the center. Fuse, applique and then sandwich your batting between the 2 layers of dishtowel squares (I actually cut the bottom one 1/2" bigger--it just works out better that way and then I trim it down after quilting it). I use one square 8" of left over batting from quilts and 1 8" square of the insul-brite stuff to keep yourself from getting burned. I quilted it on both sides of the belt and put a binding on.
So, what do you think of this project?

8 comments:

Gari in AL said...

Very cleaver. Would make nice little gifts, too.

Momoo said...

Neat project. I find putting binding on hot pads very time consuming so I usually sew 3.5 sides, turn right side out and hand stitch the opening. The binding probably looks better. Thanks for the hint of leaving the back layer larger.

ajandersonguy said...

They look great! I wonder if you should sew a button on though just so santa knows which is his shirt and which is his pants.

Carolyn Olsen said...

I think that they turned out really cute! I liked the instructions that were given for those that don't know how to put them together.

Unknown said...

What cute Santa Hot Pads, a clever idea indeed. Good work Mary!!!

marciea casselman said...

That is a cute idea. And seriously, you got mom to comment on your blog? What have you done right?

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh too cute!

kcenya1950 said...

cute, cute, cute. How clever you are. A Hobby Lobby is going to open near me soon and now I really can't wait.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails