Saturday, October 15, 2011

Scrappily Happily Sewing...

 In this issue of Better Homes and Garden American Patchwork and Quilting,  *by the way, must make up the cover quilt*
 is this quilt...a 25 patch coupled with a 9 patch and sashing...it calls for 2 1/4" squares--I had a bin full of 
2 1/2" squares that need sewing...so for the last couple of weeks in between everything else, I have been making 25 patch blocks and 9 patch blocks...
 I'm now in the process of sewing them into rows and putting together this quilt...I thought it was a fun pattern to use up all those little squares all 1100+ that it called for.  Because the squares are bigger, I was able to cut out a couple of rows and it will be 90 inches square without the last small border.  If you have tons of scraps like I do that need to be worked into something, give this a try.  It has really old scraps and really new scraps-just a combination of a decade of quilting...my goal is to corral all my scraps and use them up into scrap quilts, so I am constantly on the lookout for new ways to use them up and make quilts.  I seldom buy yardage anymore, just fat quarters and remnants to add a little punch to the already existing scraps.  I do buy yardage for backgrounds to set all the blocks and this year, I am liking solids because they tie in so lovely!
 I took these photos yesterday morning on a blustery fall morning...
As you can see, I did not get much cooperation!  How are you using up your scraps???  Ideas are welcome.  I have about 25 boxes waiting to be sewn up...

2 comments:

Mary said...

I love this quilt, Mary! And a great use of scraps. I think that should be my plan...to use up the fabric I have...or at least most of it!

marciea casselman said...

I like scrappy quilts as well. But really. 25 boxes of scraps? Where do you keep them all?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails